Thursday, February 11, 2010

I Have A 2006 Dodge Magnum And Would Like To Change The Color, Can You Paint Over Factory Paint?

Or Would U Have 2 Sand it down some.


My Car Is a Greenish/Blueish Color If that means anything.. ThanksI Have A 2006 Dodge Magnum And Would Like To Change The Color, Can You Paint Over Factory Paint?
yes it will have to be sanded down some to do it but it can be done for a price.I Have A 2006 Dodge Magnum And Would Like To Change The Color, Can You Paint Over Factory Paint?
You would have to go over it with a some really fine sand paper, (not down to the metal or anything), just enough to take the gloss out of it. Clean the body thoroughly, all dust and debris. I would put a thin coat of filler primer just so it's perfectly smooth (allow to dry for at least three days), then apply your first coat, let this dry for a week or two (preferably in the sun), then apply a second coat and let it dry for another week. Buffing the new paint after it's cured for a few weeks will give it a nice finish. I would recommend having a pro there with you to guide you through it. Make sure the body is clean and dry between each coat. Dust or moisture will ruin a potentially beautiful paint job.
Yes you can, but I don't recommend it. Covering a factory paint job (if it's in good condition) is a horrible idea because the new paint never looks as great and usually has a lot of problems. I was going to do this with my car that I had bought last year because everyone who has my make/model has the same color. After talking to some people and doing some research, I found it's better to just stick with the original color.
You would most likely have to sand it down and prime it and then paint it.

No comments:

Post a Comment