Thursday, February 18, 2010

Non-factory color paint affects the value of a car?

I'm looking at a 1969 GTO I might buy - complete, numbers matching, all original (and I mean EVERYTHING original). It's currently primered, and I needs a paint job. However, the original paint color is this god awful butternut/brownish/yellowish eww vomit color. Instead of painting it that color, what if I paint it a FACTORY color that looks attractive? like, black? Like I said FACTORY black. Will it damage the car's value, or will it raise it because it looks so much better (more desirable...)





Seriously, I like originality, but to a point. Why must I suffer, invest thousands of dollars, pain, and elbow grease into restoring a car into original condition, which looks so ugly? Why must I suffer because of the original owners idiotic decision back in '69 when he walked into a pontiac dealership to buy a GTO, and he thought to himself ';hmmm....there's black, red, orange, blue,.....nah, I think I'll pick butternut squash vomit color YEAA.'; That makes no sense!





Am I the one who is ruining the car by painting a proper factory black, or is the orginal owner the one who ruined the car in the first place by picking the worst color combinations? So basically I'm asking how my factory black paint job will affect the value. All help would be appreciated.Non-factory color paint affects the value of a car?
if your going to sell it anyway, let the buyer decide... if your keeping it, paint it your color and be happy, it probably won't make any difference anyway when it comes time to sell it... specially with that color..Non-factory color paint affects the value of a car?
I was told this by a body shop. But I'm not sure because they said that if I didn't use Infiniti paint that it would take $3000-$4000 off of the value. Maybe they were just trying to get me to buy the higher paint. Because when I sold the car I actually got over blue book value. But on trades I would say it will lessen the value. I hope this helps.
If you are buying the car to drive and enjoy- paint it whaever color you want. If you are looking for an investment and purity


go with the factory yuck color.


I would paint it a nice vibrant red metallic ( if it had black interior )
Going with the orig. is what you should do. The color code is in your vin. number and will up the value of the car
NICE! I've just got to say, I've got the new GTO-BLACK on BLACK 06 but the old school rules! I am going through the same dilema with my 1968 Fastback Impala. I don't think you'll greatly affect the price on that GTO by going the route you want to go. I def wouldn't want to repaint it the factory color. Do what makes YOU happy and if someone wants to turn down an all original GTO less the paint, then they don't know what they've got to begin with. Paint can EASILY be changed back to original. I say roll with Black or whatever option you choose and make yourself happy. Like I said, it only will SLIGHTLY affect price since it's an easily reversible decision. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment